Lawrence M. Hinman
Lawrence M. Hinman is a Professor
of Philosophy at the University of San Diego
In addition to numerous articles in philosophy, he is the author of
- "Who will benefit from stem cell research?" - These Days on KPBS, San Diego May 10 2006
- " Words that divide:
Stem cell debate is semantical minefield " - The San Diego Union-Tribune May 24, 2006 - with Michael Kalichman
- "Ethics Is Worth a Million Bucks" - Voice of San Diego.org, Friday, April 21, 2006
- "Can science resolve the ethical impasse in stem cell research?" - Nature Biotechnology, volume 24 number 4 April 2006
- "Why Google matters" - The San Diego Union-Tribune March 16, 2006
- "The Lies People Tell At Work" - KFMB News 8 - Interview - March 9, 2006
- "Hurricane Katrina: A 'Natural' Disaster?" The San Diego Union - Tribune, Sep 8, 2005. pg. B.
- "Esse est indicato in Google:
Ethical and Political Issues in Search Engines," IRIE, International Review of Information Ethics, Vol. 3 (6/2005), 19-25
- KPBS "These Days" on the mayoral election, July 27, 2005
- "We must help good candidates rise to the top:
Trust and Government," San Diego Union-Tribune, July 24, 2005.
- KPBS, "These Days," Congressman Cunningham & ethics. June 20, 2005.
- "Evaluating acts of elected officials," San Diego Union-Tribune, June 20, 2005.
- "Pushing Negativity in the Mayoral Election," Voice of San Diego, June 15, 2005.
- Lawrence M. Hinman and Michael Kalichman, KPBS, "These Days" on stem cell ethics, June 8 2005
- Lawrence M. Hinman and Michael Kalichman, "The Schiavo Case: What Can We Learn?" Voice of San Diego, April 25, 2005.
- Michael Kalichman and Lawrence M. Hinman, " The Schiavo Case: Ethics and the End of Life," North County Times, March 26 2005.
- Workshop presentation, "Academic Integrity: Some Ethical Considerations." Faculty Development Workshop on Academic Integrity, University of San Diego, January 26, 2005.
- "Moral Questions about stem cell research: Ethics after Prop. 71 ," San Diego Union-Tribune, January 6, 2005, B9.
- "Giving Thanks." San Diego Union-Tribune, Novembr 28, 2004. Insight section, p. 1.
- "Ethical Decision Making: What you need to know and why,with Michael Kalichman. San Diego Stem Cell Consortium Meeting, The Burnham Institute, December 8, 2004
"Kantian Robotics: Building a Robot to Understand Kant's Transcendental Turn," The Second Asia-Pacific Computing and Philosophy Conference, AP- CAP 2005
January 7 - 9, 2005, Novotel Hotel, Siam Square, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Who's monitoring your online searches and why?
--- These Days | KPBS San Diego, March 22 2006
- Participant in plenary panel on Google and China at the 16th Annual Conference on Computers, Freedom, and Privacy --- Held in Washington, DC. The other participants are Lance Cottrell, Founder, President and Chief Scientist, Anonymizer, Inc.; Sharon Hom, Executive Director, Human Rights In China; Eric Biel, Deputy Washington Director and Senior Counsel, Human Rights First; Fred Tipson, Senior Policy Counsel and Director for International Development Policy Microsoft; and Andrew McLaughlin, Senior Policy Counsel, Google. May 2006
- Ethical Issues in Search Engine Technology. --- Australian Association of Professional and Applied Ethics, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. June 14, 2006.
- Moral Imagination. --- Australian Association of Professional and Applied Ethics, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. June 13, 2006.
- Lessons from the Terri Schiavo case. --- Jointly hosted with Ethics Centre of South Australia which is a joint activity of the 3 Adelaide universities and the SA state government, and the ecumenical St Paulís Centre. June 9, 2006.
- Why Google matters: implications for privacy and markets. --- Seminar in School of Commerce, University of South Australia, Visiting Scholar series. June 8, 2006.
- Academic integrity: some ethical considerations. --- Seminar hosted by Hawke Research Institute for Sustainable Societies. June 8, 2006.
- Values and Ethics across the Curriculum: Three Current Perspectives. --- University of South Australia, Mawson Lakes Campus. June 7, 2006.
- Moral Imagination in Business, --- Catholic Business Association, St. Rose of Lima, May 31, 2006.
Editorials & Articles Archive
Opinion - Editorials - Articles
vitae for Lawrence M. Hinman
Course web sites:
|Phil. 334-02: Robotic Ethics
||Serra Hall 102
|Phil. 321-01: Social Ethics
||Serra Hall 204
|Phil. 321-02: Social Ethics
||Serra Hall 204
Typically, I will be around campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays after my office hours. If you can't make my posted office hours let me know.
*Note new office, inside Logic Center (Founders 160, Suite B)
Dr. Lawrence M. Hinman can be reached at:
Dr. Lawrence M. Hinman,
The Values Institute
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110-2492